Diabetes – Ayurvedic perspective
Important tips for diabetes patients
- Early diagnosis of diabetes prevents further complications.
- The possibility of diabetes shouldn’t be ignored if there is a history of diabetes in blood relation, obesity, pregnancy, long term use of steroidal medicines, excess feelings of hunger and thirst, increased frequency of urination, increased duration of wound healing, recurrent abscess formation, undue fatigue, unexplained weight loss etc.
- It is very important for a diabetic patient to keep his weight in check. Reducing excess weight coupling with appropriate diet many a times doesn’t require you to take medications for diabetes. Also, the medicines taken for diabetes render ineffective if weight keeps increasing constantly. Small and simple things like walking to nearby places instead of taking vehicles, doing yoga procedures and aasanas like Surya namaskara, Shalabhasana, Ardhamatsyendrasana, Bhujangasana, Paschimottanasana, Shawaasana, Dhyana etc. enhance the pancreatic capacity to keep diabetes in control.
- Have small meals instead of eating to your fullest at a time.
- Prevent alcoholic drinks.
- Take special care of your legs. All footwear should be of appropriate size.
- Regularly check your eyes.
- Try to keep your blood sugar under control.
- Always carry with you a card mentioning you are a diabetic person. This may come to a great help in emergency cases.
- We should prefer unsaturated fatty acids instead of saturated fatty acids.
- We should carry with us sweet edibles like biscuits, chocolates, sugar etc. This should be handy if blood sugar level drops down suddenly.
*We should avoid untimely meals, uncontrolled lifestyle, fast food, cold drinks, fruits having more sugar, sweets items, curd, ghee, butter, refrigerated food, consumption of excess water, Idli and Dosa prepared from overfermented dough , constipation causing maida foods like bakery products, excessive use of air cooler, neglecting the frequency of urination and defecation, drinking lot of water just after a meal, long afternoon naps, mental stress, tension in order to prevent or keep diabetes at bay.
Dr. Manoj M Deshpande, Dr. Aparna M Deshpande
Kalpataru Ayurvediya Chikitsalaya,Pune-411030(M S)-India