About Kidney Stone
Your kidneys remove waste and fluid from your blood to make urine. Sometimes, when you have too much of certain wastes and not enough fluid in your blood, these wastes can build up and stick together in your kidneys. These clumps of waste are called kidney stones.
Signs & Symptoms
If you have a very small kidney stone that moves easily through your urinary tract, you may not have any symptoms, and may never know that you had a kidney stone.
If you have a larger kidney stone, you may notice any of the following symptoms:
- Pain while urinating
- Blood in your urine
- Sharp pain in your back or lower abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
If you are having any of these symptoms, contact your health care provider.
How to prevent Kidney Stones ?
The best way to prevent most kidney stones is to drink enough fluids every day. Most people should drink eight to 12 cups of fluid per day. If you have kidney disease and need to limit fluids, ask your doctor how much fluid you should have each day. Limiting sodium and animal protein (meat, eggs) in your diet may also help to prevent kidney stones. If your doctor can find out what your kidney stone is made of, he or she may be able to give you specific diet recommendations to help prevent future kidney stones.
If you have a health condition that makes you more likely to have kidney stones, your doctor might tell you to take medicine to treat this condition.
Never start or stop any treatment or diet without talking to your doctor first!
Ayurvedic Perspectives - Causes
- Excess non-vegetarian diet.
- Avoiding the urge of urination.
- Eating spicy – hot diet — This causes acidic urine which in turn produces calculus ( stone ) in urine.
- Excess intake of tomatoes, spinach, dairy products, capsicum ( These food stuff contains oxalates, carbonates, uric acid, cystines in excess quantity. By means of these elements, urine stones are produced in urinary tract.)
According to Ayurvedic texts, urine production process starts from large intestine. So complete digestive system health is also of importance regarding the production of urine with normal parameters.
- Dietary changes are very much needed. Above mentioned food stuffs must be eleminated from diet so as to get faster relief and avoid recurrence.
- Some food stuffs having natural diuretic property and ability of dissolving the stone – forming elements such as oxalates, carbonates, uric acid are Incorporated in the diet – such as – cadamom, cucumber, water melon, lemon, apples, carrots, etc.
- Wonderful herbs like Pashanbhed, Gokshur, Kulattha, Shigru are used in various forms like decoction for increasing urine production and ultimately crushing the urine stones and facilitating the expulsion of urine stone.
- Massage with specific oils on waist , lower back , lower abdomen is of very much use for pain relief.
- Basti – medicated enema is a wonderful panchkarma treatment for ureteric stones. Within very short time these type of stones are expelled out of body.
In KAC, hundreds of patients of urinary – stones are relieved with ayurvedic protocols.